For the Cookie Dough:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
For the Spiced Sugar:
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- For the cookie dough: In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar, pumpkin puree and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir until all the dry ingredients are well mixed.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate until the dough is firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- For the spiced sugar: Stir together the granulated sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl.
- Scoop the dough into balls, about 2 tablespoons each. Roll each ball in the spiced sugar until well coated and arrange at least 2-inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until the cookies are puffed, set around the edges and begin to crack on top, 11 to 13 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Bake: 11-13 min + cooling
Total time: 5 hours
Recipe inspired by the Pioneer Woman