- (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup of molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2″ piece fresh ginger, grated (optional)
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and molasses until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, spices, baking soda, and salt until combined. With the mixer on low, gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, as well as the fresh ginger, until the dough just comes together. (Do not overmix).
- Divide dough in half and create two discs. Wrap each in plastic wrap or wax paper and chill until firm for about 2 to 3 hours. (Alternatively, divide dough in half and roll each piece of dough between two pieces of parchment to 1/4″ thick. Chill until firm.)
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place one disc of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll until 1/4″ thick. Cut out gingerbread cookies with cutters and transfer to baking sheets.
- Bake until slightly puffed and set, 9 to 10 minutes, depending on the size of your cookie cutters. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Recipe inspired by Delish