- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- ¼ cup of all purpose flour
- 32 oz. of chicken stock
- (2) 28 oz. cans of whole tomatoes in juice
- 10 basil leaves (about ¼ cup), finely chopped
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 8 oz. of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Melt the butter, then add the chopped onions. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Sauté onions for about 8 minutes or until they turn translucent, stirring occasionally. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the flour, and stir to cook the flour for 1 minute. (It will look like a paste). Slowly stir in the chicken stock, whisking the whole time so the flour doesn’t clump. Then add the canned tomatoes and basil. You can either transfer to a slow cooker and cook over low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours, or cook it on the stove top by bringing it to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Remove the lid, and either use an immersion blender or stand blender (careful when blending hot liquids in a stand blender). Blend until the soup is creamy. Transfer back into the slow cooker or pot.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Heat soup for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the soup is warm.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Recipe inspired by Tastes Lovely